Saturday, January 22, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Child

This week our journal writing topic one day was "Who is your favorite superhero and why?" One of the little girls in my class has a tender place in my heart this year. Her mom told me at the Christmas concert that she doesn't thank the Lord for her mom anymore, rather she thanks Him for her teacher. This student lives with just her mom in a very low income housing area. Like the majority of my kids who come from very low income/single parent homes, I am their source of encouragement, the person who believes in them, and the person who in many cases takes care of them away from home. When I saw her write this in her journal, it was such a tangible reminder to me of what really matters in life. (Remember this is a 6 year old). I was having a rough week just feeling like I was an ineffective teacher and I felt like the kids weren't progressing the way they should and I was honestly just not in a good place in life mentally myself. When I saw her writing this, I was taken back. Her two simple sentences and picture reminded me of why I'm where I am and the purpose that my life holds. I may not be what I could be, I may not even be what I should be, but I am not what I was because Jesus died on a cross to save me. How freeing.

"My favorite superhero is God because he saved us. He died on the cross."

1 comment:

  1. Oh Angie! I think this was God's way of reminding you that while we may not love where were at in our lives there is a reason we are there! The kids you teach are at such an impressionable age and you obviously are making an impact on them.

    ReplyDelete