Friday, July 17, 2015

Angie's Trail...

So there I was on a short hike in Door County when the path I was on came to a split.  Which way to go?  While deciding, I noticed a big boulder at the start of one path.  It was unusually to be there because it wasn't at the start of the hike, but rather in the middle of a no where really.  I decided to go over to it and sit for a minute.  As I approached, I noticed a plaque on it.  Right on the top it said "Angie's Trail".  I couldn't believe it.....what a cool thing to see on a trail I was hiking.  It was in memory of an elementary teacher of all things too.  As I sat on the rock, I began to think.  I wondered why this huge rock hadn't been placed at the start of the trail for everyone to see it.  Wouldn't that make more sense?  Instead here it was hidden in the middle of a hike.  But as I began to process this thought, I realized something.  This teacher must have been someone special.  Someone who left a trail behind her.  Possibly a legacy.  Maybe, just maybe, she wanted the boulder in that exact location for the fact that you do have to walk to find it.  What if, even after her passing, she's wanting to teach people like me who come on this hike a lesson.

I want a life like that....a life that teaches people years and years after I'm gone....leaving a legacy of relationships.

So as I sat there all alone on this rock, I began to concluded the lesson:

 Sometimes the trail you leave behind is more important than the path in front of you...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment