Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Do For One What You Wish To Do For All



As a teacher, you have students who come into your life and change you.  This year, I've had a few.  As I look back at the year as whole I can say that it was beyond challenging with the behavior issues.  At times, even the principal didn't know what to do.  My patience was tested every single day.  If there was one thing I learned this year it's that persistent and patient love and care will win out.  For me this was shown true with a little boy named "C".  C was new to the school this year.  We knew nothing about his other than he had a track record and file that had red flags all over it.  Like all students I took the time to get to know him.  The more I got to know him the more I loved the kid.  He was hard...he didn't adjust well to consequences.  In fact, he struggled with most people in the school.  When I was gone once, he couldn't be contained and police were brought into the school and physically had to take him to their cop car to take him home.  It got bad.  But yet, for whatever reason, I still adored C.  And honestly, he respected me.  Why?  I'm not exactly sure, but I know it has something to do with investing my time to know him and love him.  To meet him where he was at.  I sat with him and talked with him.  I brought him to church.  Soon after that he asked for a Bible and everyday that was the book he took out to read in class.  As the year went on I saw God start to mold him.  There are some things that teachers can do, but a lot of things that only God can do.  I'm going to keep investing in C this summer.  He's come so far but needs me to still be his safe place.  For me, I can't wait to see C continue to grow, learn, and hopefully come to find God's love for him in ways he never thought possible or has never experienced.  God's kinda great like that....

No comments:

Post a Comment